Albany Public Schools Foundation
Development Director Job Posting
The mission of the Foundation is to generate and distribute resources that enrich and enhance education opportunities for all students, encourage teachers to implement innovative educational programs, and award scholarships to Albany Public School District students.
Position Overview and Job Responsibilities
The Development Director is a critical position to Albany Public Schools Foundation (APSF) and is responsible for leading the development and fundraising effort for the organization. The Development Director reports to and works closely with the Executive Director to fulfill APSF’s fundraising goals as identified through the strategic plan.
The Development Director will help integrate development with marketing/communications to maximize APSF’s exposure and fundraising opportunities. She/he will foster and maintain relationships with key individual, corporate and institutional donors and will spend significant time out of the office in cultivation and solicitation meetings.
Primary Areas of Responsibility:
- Work closely with the Executive Director to design, plan and execute a comprehensive Development Plan (including major gifts, annual giving, planned giving and corporate sponsorships) to increase support from donors, volunteers, businesses and other key contributors.
- Create and execute a strategy for cultivating and stewarding a growing base of annual individual donors.
- Expand and diversify APSF’s donor pipeline to secure funding for existing and new initiatives.
- Serve as the staff fundraising lead for the Sustainable Funding Committee and work closely with the chair and Executive Director to strategize and implement a committee work plan.
- Oversee design and production of donor recognition and appreciation communications and events.
- Develop annual grants strategy and oversee grants/reporting schedule to assure timely submission and reports on all grant funding.
- Develop solicitations/support materials with the intent of attracting new gifts and upgrading gifts from existing donors.
Major Gifts Solicitation and Donor Stewardship
- Maintain an active list of top donors and prospects and create/pursue a plan to solicit and close major gifts.
- Schedule a minimum of eight donor meetings/visits per month.
- Strategically include Executive Director and/or Board members in site visits/meetings with donors.
- Plays an instrumental role in event planning, volunteer coordination and the sponsor campaign. Creates sponsor solicitation materials and communicates with sponsors, vendors and volunteers. Occasional work may be on weekends or evenings for special events.
- Receives and processes gifts made to APSF. In this capacity (supported by the APSF administrative assistant), issues tax receipts using templates; develops appropriate acknowledgement letters; sends notes and gifts of recognition to donors; develops a system for regular reminders to donors who have made pledges; and when appropriate makes “thank you” calls. Ensures all donor related files are kept current and in good order.
- Represents APSF at various community and school district events which provide the opportunity to network with current and prospective donors.
- Maintains membership in professional organizations (i.e Mid-Valley Development Professionals)
- Position may include professional development opportunities.
- A Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, non-profit management or a related field or equivalent experience required.
- National certification in fundraising (CFRE/CFRM) a plus.
- Skilled public speaker and networker.
- Ability to consistently exercise discretion and independent judgment
- Working proficiency at an intermediate level in Microsoft Office Suite is essential.
- Experience using Constant Contact, Word Press and donor database software a plus.
- Superior written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills.
- Trustworthy and maintains confidences.
- Exhibit a high degree of professionalism, business judgment and problem-solving skills. Over 50% of the workweek will include professional and managerial tasks such as the creation and execution of fundraising strategies.
- Pays attention to detail in all aspect of the position including written documents and interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to travel as needed.
Duties will primarily be conducted indoors, in an office environment or at a business, residence or restaurant for donor meetings. Must have the ability to sit and work at a computer for extended periods. Maintains professional personal appearance and hygiene appropriate to the position.
This employee will report to the Albany Public Schools Foundation office, located in Albany, Oregon. Some evening and weekend work required. A valid driver’s license is required for use of your own vehicle for occasional out of town errands and travel to meeting sites. Mileage is reimbursed at the state rate.
This position is full-time, salaried and exempt, with flexibility needed for special events, meetings or occasional presentations outside of normal work hours. Benefits include medical, dental and vision coverage.
PTO: The employee will earn 10 days of paid time off plus 11 paid holidays annually.
Email your resume, cover letter and three letters of recommendation to: email@example.com. Title your email: Development Director Application – “Your Name”.
Position closes on September 15th or when filled.
For more information about APSF visit www.albanypsf.org.
Albany Public Schools Foundation
PO Box 1772
Albany, OR 97321
Note: This is not necessarily an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, functional or working conditions associated with the job. This job description is not a contract of employment or a promise or guarantee of any specific terms or conditions of employment. The Foundation may add to, modify or delete any aspect of this at any time as it deems advisable.
The Albany Public Schools Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.